Water boil warning after parasite identified

Photo of author

By Creative Media News

  • 22 cases of diarrhoea-like illness prompt tap water boiling
  • Cryptosporidium parasite found; 70 cases under investigation
  • South West Water advises residents in affected areas

People throughout south Devon have been advised to boil their tap water in light of the confirmation of 22 cases of a diarrhoea-like illness.

Seventy additional suspected cases are also under investigation.

According to the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), cryptosporidium, the parasite, is “predominantly a waterborne disease.

Ingestion or imbibing contaminated water from streams or swimming pools can result in the development of infections.

Residents of Brixham, Boohay, Kingswear, Roseland, and north-east Paignton have been urged by South West Water (SWW) to bring their domestic water to a boil.

People in the afflicted areas should boil water for drinking, cooking, and brushing their teeth, according to Chris Rockey of SWW.

He stated that the company would continue to collaborate with “health professionals and monitor the water” and that its investigation had been initiated since the UKHSA contacted it on Monday.

Tuesday’s test results indicated that treated water departing the facility was not contaminated, according to the company. However, overnight tests uncovered minute quantities of cryptosporidium.

SWW stated that it was certain boiled water was safe and that the recommendation was issued as a precaution.

Mr. Rockey stated that he was unable to provide a specific duration for which residents must continue to boil water.

He stated that additional guidance would be provided once the water supply had “returned to normal.”

“Absolutely frustrating”

Anthony Mangnall, the Conservative Member of Parliament for Totnes and South Devon, stated, “It is beyond dismayed that South West Water did not react more quickly when this was initially reported.”

“It began with an initial denial that it had anything to do with their network; however, they have since discovered that cryptosporidium is present on their network and are now taking action.”

“Residents were quick to point out that something was wrong with the water because they could taste it; consequently, they are currently in distress.”

I want to see them address the issue, resolve it as soon as possible, and ensure that residents have the support they need now and in the future to have confidence in their drinking water,” said Mr. Mangnall.

Mr. Rockey stated that the water company had increased its surveillance efforts in the Brixham region due to the rise in the number of individuals afflicted with illness.

“Small traces of the organism” were detected in the Hillhead segment of SWW’s network overnight and on Wednesday morning, the company reported.

The notification stated: “We apologise for the inconvenience caused and will continue to keep customers and businesses updated.”

The company stated that unboiled water could be utilized for flushing the commode, washing, and bathing.

Describe cryptosporidium

According to the UKHSA, the parasite, also known as crypto, causes cryptosporidiosis, a disease or ailment that affects humans and certain animals.

It is present in the intestines and feces of infected animals and humans, and it has the potential to contaminate food, water, lakes, rivers, and swimming pools if not properly treated.

Diarrhoea, stomach pains, nausea or vomiting, a low-grade fever, and appetite loss are among the symptoms that may persist for up to two weeks.

It is most prevalent in children between the ages of one and five, as well as in those with compromised immune systems.

According to the UKHSA, the majority of individuals who have robust immune systems will regain their health within a month.

Harriet Oakley, from Alston, Brixham, stated that she informed SWW on Tuesday in an effort to obtain “clarity on the situation” because she was concerned for the health of her three-year-old son and seven-month-old daughter.

She stated, “They told me unequivocally that the water is safe and that you may proceed with your regular usage. However, now, less than twenty-four hours later, we have received notification that the water is no longer fit for consumption.”

“For a small child, I used to make bottled water because it was impossible to find in supermarkets; bottled water is no longer available because the shelves are empty.”

The change in advice, according to Ms. Oakley, “outraged” her.

She expressed the view that “they ought to conduct a thorough self-examination – their responsibility is to deliver a secure service.”

“We are not granted the privilege of selectively utilizing water services; they are our sole recourse and must be utilized.

“They are interfering with individuals’ lives, finances, and most significantly, their health, which is intolerable.”

Professor Paul Hunter, an authority on infectious diseases at the University of East Anglia, stated, “Determining the magnitude of these epidemics is challenging.

“The answer depends on whether the contamination event was transient or whether it persisted for an extended period of time.”

“Even if the infection is eradicated today, new cases will continue to emerge for the next week to ten days.”

Professor Hunter stated, “They must determine the source and how the substance entered the drinking water.”

Beers should be boiled before consumption…

“Having to deal with boil water notices is a challenging issue, but that is essentially everything you can do.”

“Take a step towards financial freedom – claim your free Webull shares now!”

Anne Kelly-Groucutt, the proprietor of Hortus House in Brixham, stated that she believed the incident had an impact on her company.

She stated that two cancellations were made on Tuesday in response to reports of cryptosporidium.

She stated that one reservation was canceled within minutes.

It is somewhat unsettling,” she expressed.

In the history of us having the B&B we have never had a cancellation within 10 minutes of a booking.

Jane Boyle, a resident of Hillhead, Brixham, reported that the water company delivered a letter instructing individuals to boil their water prior to consumption through her door on Wednesday.

She reported that people in her region had been ill for ten to thirteen days, mistaking the illness for food poisoning.

Ms. Boyle further stated that SWW’s protracted delay in providing information raised “doubt.”

Helen Sneyd, a resident of Hillhead, remarked, “It’s unfortunate that anyone had to endure that; let’s hope they can resolve the situation as soon as possible.”

In an effort to investigate the cases, the UK Health Security Agency stated it was collaborating with Torbay Council, SWW, NHS Devon, and the Environment Agency.

Read More

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Skip to content