4.7 C
London
Saturday, April 20, 2024
HomeWorldGaza's Nasser hospital is unusable after Israel raids, says WHO

Gaza’s Nasser hospital is unusable after Israel raids, says WHO

  • Nasser hospital in Gaza inoperable
  • IDF denies WHO access
  • Ceasefire efforts not encouraging

The World Health Organisation has reported that an Israeli assault has rendered inoperable the Nasser hospital in Gaza.

On Thursday, Israel Defence Force (IDF) commandos stormed the complex, claiming intelligence suggested Hamas had taken hostages there.

The WHO stated that access to the site for the purpose of assessing the situation had been denied.

The operation conducted by the IDF in Nasser was characterised as “precise and limited,” and Hamas was accused of “cynically using hospitals for terror.”

The Director-General of the World Health Organisation, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, stated on X, formerly Twitter, that “after a week-long siege and the ongoing raid, the Nasser hospital in Gaza is no longer operational.”

He stated that the WHO team was denied access to the hospital yesterday and the day before to assess the patients’ conditions and critical medical requirements, despite having arrived at the hospital compound with partners to deliver fuel.

“Around 200 patients remain within the hospital. At least twenty patients must be referred to other hospitals immediately to receive medical care; this is the right of every patient.”

Only four medical staff remained to treat the remaining patients, according to Gaza’s Hamas-controlled health ministry.

Hospital Crisis Amidst Gaza Conflict

An unidentified source within the hospital reported that disruptions in the provision of oxygen and electricity had resulted in the fatalities of eleven patients, and that a number of physicians had been arrested.

Yesterday, the Israeli military reported that food and water had been delivered to the hospital and that its forces had been instructed to maintain operations there. An army spokeswoman said only that an inspection was underway when questioned about the hospital this morning.

For weeks, fighting has occurred around the Nasser site. Israel has asserted on multiple occasions that Hamas operates from hospitals and classrooms as bases of operations.

The Israeli IDF has seized many weapons and killed 20 Hamas fighters near the hospital.

The IDF reported dozens of militants killed and massive weapons captured the day before.

Gunmen commanded by Hamas attacked Israel on 7 October last year, resulting in the deaths of at least 1,200 individuals.

Israel commenced a military campaign in the Gaza Strip in retaliation. Over 68,000 Palestinians, primarily women and children, have been injured and over 28,400 have perished since the outbreak of hostilities, according to the health ministry, which is operated by Hamas.

According to the report, 205 Palestinians were injured and 127 died in the past 24 hours.

Despite the Gaza crisis, Cairo has been mediating a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas. However, Qatari mediators have described recent progress as “not particularly encouraging.”

Stalled Peace Talks Amid Escalating Conflict

Sheikh Mohammed, speaking at a gathering of global leaders at the Munich Security Conference on Saturday, stated, “The pattern over the past few days has not been particularly encouraging, but we will continue to be optimistic and vigorous, as I have always maintained.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel stated that he dispatched negotiators in response to US President Joe Biden’s request. However, they did not return for additional talks because Hamas’s demands were “irrational.”

Hamas has attributed the failure to achieve a ceasefire agreement to Israel.

The collective has delineated a sequence of stipulations, comprising the exchange of Palestinian detainees for hostages, the complete withdrawal of Israeli forces, and the cessation of hostilities following a 135-day hiatus; these conditions are divided into three distinct phases.

Mr Netanyahu has additionally reaffirmed that, notwithstanding international pressure, the Israeli government continues to advance its ground invasion of Gaza southward, encompassing the Rafah region, without initially devising a strategy to evacuate Palestinian civilians who fled that area in the initial days of the conflict.

Approximately 1.5 million individuals have migrated to Rafah, which is in close proximity to the Egyptian border. Israeli forces ordered them to flee while Hamas sites in northern and central Gaza were targeted.

Egypt-Israel Stance on Palestinian Future

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi opposed the forced migration of Palestinians into Sinai on Saturday.

According to a summary, during a telephone conversation with French President Emmanuel Macron, both leaders reached a consensus. They agreed on the “urgent requirement for the progression of a ceasefire.”

“Don’t miss out! Grab your free shares of Webull UK today!”

Mr Sisi has long maintained that an independent state for the Palestinians is the only viable solution.

Instead, Mr. Netanyahu said Sunday that his government had unanimously opposed “unilateral recognition” of Palestinian statehood.

He stated that such an agreement could only be achieved through direct negotiations between the Israeli and Palestinian sides.

“Israel unequivocally declines all international pressures concerning a lasting agreement with the Palestinians. Should an accord be reached, it will only be achieved through direct, non-augustine negotiations between the parties,” according to a government statement.

Tory MP Andrew Rosindell’s rape investigation is dropped

RELATED ARTICLES

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most Popular

Police threaten arrest of ‘openly Jewish’ man near pro-Palestine march

Last Saturday in London, the leader of the Campaign Against Antisemitism was prevented from crossing a road near a pro-Palestine demonstration. A supporter of antisemitism was threatened with arrest mere yards from a pro-Palestine march, with one Metropolitan Police officer characterising his presence as "antagonising."

G7 nations criticise Chinese funding for Russia’s weapons industry

The "strong concern" expressed by foreign ministers of the Group of Seven (G7) nations regarding transferring weapon components and materials from Chinese enterprises to Russia in preparation for its military offensive in Ukraine has been documented. US Secretary of State Antony Blinken exhorted his counterparts on Friday at a meeting on the Italian island of Capri to increase pressure on China, which the United States accuses of assisting Russia's war effort by supplying critical components for weaponry.

Israel’s attack on Iran: Crisis demonstrates Iran-Israel miscommunication

The Israeli assault on Iran did not elicit the severe reaction that Western leaders, including US President Joe Biden, had anticipated. They have been advocating for Israel to establish a clear boundary in the perilous sequence of occurrences that commenced on April 1 with the assassination of a senior Iranian general in Damascus by Israel. The conflict in Gaza has persisted for over six months after the Hamas assaults on Israel, and it has extended to the vicinity encompassing the Lebanon-Israel border and the Gulf.

Saga boosted by ocean and river cruise demand

New results indicate that Saga's cruise and travel divisions returned to profitability in 2018 due to a significant increase in demand. According to preliminary annual results, the group's ocean cruise division generated an underlying pre-tax profit of £35.5 million in the year ending in January, compared to a loss of £700,000 in the prior year. The organisation stated, "Bookings for ocean cruises continue to be exceptionally robust, and we have already secured a 78% load factor and £3,679 per diem for 2024/25."

Recent Comments